Does it seem like it has been awhile? To me these last few months have quite honestly flown by… It feels like someone came up behind me, hit me with a brick, stuffed me in a sack, sold my car, shipped me to the West Coast, got me an amazing job, equally terrific friends, a decent studio apartment, a vita-mix, bought me a bicycle and just woke me up this morning (albeit 2 months later). Well, this is me thanking whomever did that… Thanks, dude.
What have I been up to the past month?
Well, for starters I am no longer part of the 200,000 million people in this world who own a vehicle… Which also means I have reduced my carbon footprint by about 80%! I also have more muscle in my legs than ever before from bicycling everywhere. Oh yeah, and I also eat like a horse (which I have always done, but now it is totally justifiable, right?)…
Did I mention I moved 3100 miles West? Oh yeah, well I did… To a little town just north of Tacoma, Washington. You guys may have heard of it, they say it rains a lot there…
I am also living alone for the first time in my life… and well, it is pretty interesting (to say the least). Of the many things that I have already learned, I will share a few in order of importance:
- Buy a shower curtain. Seriously. You may think you can get away with not having one, but you can’t. The ten dollars is completely justifiable. Your hardwood floor outside of your shower will appreciate it!
- There is no point in having a dishwasher if you have 3 dishes. Thus, dishwasher soap should no longer be an expense. Though, if you do decide to use your dishwasher on the odd occasion; do not, and I repeat: DO NOT put dish soap in your dishwasher. There is a HUGE difference between dishwasher soap and dish soap. Once again, your hardwood floors will thank you.
- 468 square feet of space is enough to sleep, cook, store a bicycle, or even lounge. However, it is NOT enough space to touch-up your basketball skills. Your neighbors will agree.
- A vita-mix is a necessary investment.
- Attempting to raw make brazil nut butter in a vita-mix will not lead to pleasant smells or a happy vita-mix.
- Troubleshooting and brainstorming a brilliant alternative to your low capacity washer by utilizing your hands/bathtub is a great idea…
- Until your water bill comes the next month and you are forced to cut your food budget in half for the following weeks to make up for your brilliant idea.
- Confronting the people smoking outside of your window is an activity you should engage in at your own risk.
- Confronting the drunk teenagers outside of your window is an activity you should engage in at your window’s risk.
- Realizing that you are only in your apartment when it is dark out is both extremely sad and somewhat liberating all at the same time… Plus you will never actually see the true affects of not having a vacuum.
- Realizing that you have never actually met your neighbor and you start to wonder if you are the only one on your floor… Until you hear a classical piano piece playing… Every morning… At 6:34… Every morning… I like to believe that I have the ghost of Beethoven living next door. I think he has some of my mail…